Erasure's road to fame- Smash hits
1) Andy Bell was born in Peterborough on
April the 25, 1964. He first sang
in a church choir, got thrown out of school
and formed a group called The
Void. Vince Clarke was born on July 3 1960.
He was an original member of
Depeche Mode, then teamed up with Alison
Moyet to form Yazoo.
2) When in Yazoo, Vince cultivated a Jimbob
Carter-style bit of hair. He
later cut it off, but kept it in an
envelope at home, "I think it's gone all
3) When Vince got bored of Yazoo - and his
daft bit of hair - he put an
advertisement in a music paper for a new
singer. Nearly a hundred people
replied and he auditioned forty-two of
them. Andy was the forty-second. " He
just looked like a general looking bloke",
Vince, " it was only when he opened his
mouth that there was something
special". As for Andy?. " I felt that I had
the job before I even got
4) Erasure's first three singles were
5) Andy is super confident. Vince isn't.
"I'm just very very cautious".
6) Yet it wasn't always that way. When Andy
made his first appearance on
television he was visibly shaking and at
Erasure's first gig ( at London's
Heaven nightclub in December 1985) he was "
a complete chicken, I dressed
all in black".
7) These days anything goes, but his stage
shows weren't the first time he
dressed up in public. " I remember I used
to babysit at home and the Danny
La Rue Show ( female impersonator) was on
TV. I thought ' oh that's really
easy to do', so I borrowed my sister's long
party dress, put on some make-up
and went out in the street in
8) Andy's cooking speciality is Mint
9) Vince wasn't so impressed by Andy's
early forays into clothing
extravagance - he thought Andy was
colour-blind!. " Or at least it seems to
me that he is. We've got different colour
Eventually, Vince played along too. On a
recent Top Of The Pops he wore a
10) Andy has fancied Vince for years. "He's
got a cute little body".
Vince hasn't returned the